Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Advent Week 3: Gaudete

Get you cheery mode on because Christmas is really nearing! I am really loving this season!

With no snow in Indonesia, the Christmas season can feel a little bit blah. People need physical reminders to know the difference between the holiday/end of year season from the regular days. Unfortunately, we don't really have that here, other than the higher intensity of rain. We get those reminders mostly in the malls, where Christmas songs are on and the decorations are up. But other than that, I've been getting the vibe from my fellowship gatherings and the surprise blessings that my family been given. For me, those will do. 

Let me list down several of the Christmassy things I have done:
  • Christmas shopping
  • Reading "The Book of (Holiday) Awesome"
  • Two white elephant/gift switching events
  • Reading an article about how to deal with the Santa story for the kids
  • Buying train tickets to go to Semarang for the holiday
  • Buying chocolate with cute Christmas packaging
  • Writing on this blog once a week until Christmas comes
 At church, this third week is called "Gaudete" which translates into "Rejoice". Usually during the Advent season, the Catholic Church do a countdown by having 4 candles lit up one by one as the week goes by. All of the candles are purple, except for the third week candle which is pink. This is our physical reminder to really get into the spirit of Christmas; it is the alarm that the day is nearing really fast. It is our invitation to be joyful in our hopeful anticipation.

I feel that I can mostly relate to things if it has a firm context in my life. So, I try to imagine the birth of Jesus as what it literally mean: the birth of a baby. Have you been a part of that wait? Just counting down to the time when your niece/nephew/your own baby/your best friend's baby will be born? On the 8th month of pregnancy, the belly looks like its almost bursting open, and you just can't wait anymore. On the 8th month and 3 weeks of pregnancy, you'll be giddy of excitement! Will it be normal delivery? What will be the baby look like? I haven't bought presents yettt!!! So, basically, just a ball of joyful, hopeful nerves, right?

This week, be a part of that excitement. Be a part of His big loving family. Be ready to visit that "hospital" and congratulate the parents. Buy your gifts (a baby wrapper is my go-to gift). Buy flowers and balloons, and welcome signs. Let yourself be bitten by the "Gaudete" bug.

Some years, I would have a Christmas song that stick to my head. One year it was "Last Christmas". Last year, unfortunately, is was Justin Bieber's "Mistletoe". This year, I can be prouder of my song choice. I knew this song from my friend Melissa, when she chose it to be sung at the fellowship. It's called "Welcome to Our World". 

Prepare yourself, for He is coming :) Happy third week of Advent!


No comments: