Pages

Monday, August 12, 2019

On Navigating a Mother Daughter Relationship

I once heard that parenting never stops even when your child has grown into adulthood. I am far from being a parent although most of my friends have two kids by now. I don’t understand how it feels to hold something you borne, how you would trade your life for your children, how somehow their pain would hurt you more. It is a form of love I don’t get to exude right now but I have been very lucky to be at the receiving end of it.



My mom and I have a positive relationship. We are close to each other and love each other dearly. But like any relationship it is not all smooth sailing. I have made her cry more than needed. No, not the oh-my daughter-has-finally-graduated-how-I-am-so-proud kind of cry. Sure, she has those moments too, very well thank you. But sometimes it happens that I would just disregard her or make her feel insignificant or feel not necessarily needed, she might question her whole existence and plummet into her mid life post power syndrome depression. I am that mighty.

Long term relationship changes with time. In this case, most probably I am the one who significantly change it. The me 15 years ago, around the time I left home for high school could not possibly be the same as the adult that I am now. While my mom, though has changed as well, remains in her adulthood stage. Since I came back and started staying with my parents about 5 years ago, my mom and I began navigating a tricky relationship of two grown women with their own stubborn minds. No longer am I easily controlled, no longer she can play the role of the nourishing and protective  provider. No longer we are the pair we used to know.

I remember when I started making money and I could buy things for myself. She told me that she felt like she was irrelevant since she wanted to still buy me things but I didn’t need that anymore. Many more or less similar incidents occur since then. Many times I have been insensitive and too focused on what I wanted without the effort to understand what she is going through. My biggest frustration unfortunately lies in the small things: she packing my socks, keeping my items stored, telling me how to do things, tucking in my shirt before I leave for work. Which leads to seemingly silly but often fights and snappy comments from my side.

Most of the times I feel guilty after our fights and seeing her hurt. Or perhaps realizing that she might not have enough support system to help her figure this out – people don’t often talk or share about these things. In my gnarly moments though I just couldn’t help it; I hated being treated like I am still 12. We are both learning about this new buds in our relationship. Unfortunately, not all buds blossom. Many fell before their time before some of it can crack open.

It was the day that I was leaving for a 10 day trip and I had always been a last minute packer which my mom hated. We had quite a sizeable fight that day because I didn’t want to be helped, but being the annoying self that I am I troubled her with emergency packing needs an hour before I was supposed to leave. She was frustrated because I rejected most of her help offers and blamed her on many fronts for the things I couldn’t find; I was frustrated because she kept on telling me how to pack. I was planning to bring a backpack and already had it ready and filled. She came in and suggested (which appeared as a meddling to me) to bring a luggage instead so I didn’t need to carry a heavy sack). Not wanting to aggravate things I complied and moved my stuff to the luggage. But we were still fighting and I left the house on a very sour note. When I left, my mom was crying and said she felt so rejected. She told me to have fun and not worry about her.

Five year on I don’t know how we seem to still be on square one on this matter. How are we such a slow learners and very stingy on compassion. I left with guilt on my heart but at the same time anger with my adulthood being violated (again). When I arrived in the airport I took two luggages out of the taxi; one was the midsized one that I would put in as checked in baggage and the other the smaller one my mom suggested to bring. In my heart I grumbled; had I not listen to mom I would only need to roll one luggage and now my two hands were full and I walked awkwardly with two. Perhaps it was convenient in the aiport after I checked one in but how troublesome it would be later on when I take the trains and move from one place to the other. I regreted it so much and I wished she would just had left me packing on my own.

Earlier on that day, I was in an important meeting. The project that I was involved in was in a crossroad as the many departments involved failed to work well together. It was the day before the long Lebaran holiday. Everybody had prepared presentation for the meeting with the big boss. My director had asked me to prepare a history on how we were unable to deliver things on time (the finance department had been slow in paying our consultant, the work request was unclear and the scope kept changing, etc). I had narrated a story with minimum fault on our side. We had all settled in when the big boss came in and he said, “We are keeping this meeting short, 30 minutes max. I just want that each department reflect and do some introspection. Nobody is wrong, yet somehow here we are in a mess.We meet again in 2 weeks to talk it out. Just reflect. If you think that the demand in this project is impossible, we will go together to the owner and explain it.” I came into that morning meeting with a bag of amunition and with a shield to protect me from flying arrows. There was no war that morning because we came out of the room like a bunch of bamboo eating pandas – all calm and slightly fluffed up.



What he said stuck with me through afternoon, through the evening after my fight with mom. I ordered coffee in the airport, sat down,  finished a little work, my carry on luggage beside me. I have cursed it enough if it had legs it would have run home instead. I was sure I was still going to curse it throughout my trip as I drag it on pebbled sidewalks. But perhaps it would be reminder as I have this thing for 10 days to have the “presence” of my mom travelling along with me. To do my own introspection and reflect on what has happened as I carry it up the stairs to my AirBnB room. To have its inconvenience crawl up my back. To have this sizable tangible object on what my mother’s deep love and care for me can look and feel like. We all need some thinking on what we have said and done (and on what we do not say and do not do for that matter).


Relationships that really matter would hurt you. Relationships that really matter plough over your top soil until you become fertile ground for other living things to grow. My mom is not mother Mary, and I am definitely not a periwinkle twinkling fairy. The grown woman that I am would not bicker so much (and can plan better for trips). The wise woman that my mom is can give other people space. I am learning to be grown and my mom is learning to be wise. In the meantime,our mistakes crash into each other like two drunk drivers ashamed at their relapse. We will do better next time.

No comments: