Pages

Monday, September 09, 2019

Chilling in Dieng

Nature does not label, it does not judge, it does not ask. It let you be.



I came to Dieng, the marshy plateau in Central Java near Wonosobo, at a time where I was not sure of myself. Work related issues have consumed me the past days before and I was surrounded in the office by what I presume as rumors and talks about me. I was agitated and on my toes. At times, it felt like people hated me, although, I am sure most part is fiction I wrote in my head.

I came to Dieng with friends I knew 14 years back when we entered college together. I looked forward to meeting them and simply laughed together; but I also knew that with these two I could discuss deeper matters (mostly over delicious food). One of my biggest blessings in life is having quite a few of this kind of friends. And Dieng in itself, is a charming place, at quite a high altitude, enough to chill any shaken soul.

I know nature to be a healing place: haphazardly balanced, always having space for all hues of color, full of acceptance. I know it as a source of love. With its beauty and consistency, I am forever amazed at its persistence in taking care of people.






























We went to seek the sunrise at Sikunir Hill on a Friday morning to avoid the weekend crowd. It was the easier option for the morning hike of about 20 - 30 minutes as compared to the Prau Mountain which needed higher physical prepraration and an overnight stay. The pathway was well established with stairs and handrails and had two stops, so if you are tired you can opt to see the sunrise from the 1st stop. We arrived at the top at about 4.30 am and waited under a gushing cold wind until the dark sky turned orange and red and blue and other mix of colors that were pretty much nameless. The feeling of insignificance in the midst of giant mountains and outdoor vastness was worth the hike and the morning rise. It was as if my successes and my failures, both do not matter in the grand scheme of things; and it was a liberation. It was as if "I" do not matter, in a weirdly positive and encouraging way.































Food in Dieng revolves around potatoes, carica (mountain papaya), and mie ongklok. Mie ongklok for me was just OK, mainly because it broth was thick and I was not used to the texture. Despite of that, it is definitely worth the try. One of the best part of the trip surprisingly was the place that we stayed at and the hospitality of the owner. We booked the place through AirBnB and it was located quite centrally in Wonosobo (although the town itself was small and everything was pretty much central). It was a 2 bedroom house nestled in a pretty packed housing area. The inside was basic and clean and eclectic with various personal collection of vintage decor. Our favorite part was the back porch which overlooked the city and had a big table where we could chill. Highly recommended.





























Short drives within Dieng area were several tourism spots. We went to Candi Arjuna which was a Hindu Temple from the 8th century, kawah Sikidang, and also to Telaga Warna which exuded several shades of color. Since we beat the crowd, places to take great photos were abundant and we also visited a couple of waterfalls. There were entry fees to each of these sites but they were relatively cheap.

Wonosobo is about 3 hours away from Semarang and 4 hours from Jogjakarta by car. Our driver was a contact we had from the AirBnB owner and it shouldn't be hard to get a driver around the area. We went back via Semarang and on the way there we passed other small cities like Ambarawa and Ungaran.































Absolutely loved this short and sweet escapade. It helped me unwind, just to see a type of life so near, yet so different, and more serene inside and out. To wake up to misty mornings and receive the cold, the mysteries, and all the things they would unfold.

Everyday they do this: the rise and fall of day. The mountains, the waters, the plantations, the harvests, the wind, its whistle, the girls, their laughter; they cradled me. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Accommodation: Omah Adem Ayem Wonosobo
*Transportation: Train from Jakarta to Semarang, driver Bowo 082221854044
*Culinary spots: Mie Ongklok Pak Muhadi, Mie Ongklok Longkrang
*Places to visit: Bukit Sikunir, Kawah Sikidang, Telaga Warna, Air Terjun Sikarim, Kebun Teh Tambi
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: